Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Invisible Worlds

Invisible Worlds is a BBC documentary mini series about things in our world that or eyes don't have the capacity to see. Too fast movements, infrared light, microscopic activities are some subjects these three episodes discuss.

The actual title (on IMDB at least) is "Richard Hammond's Invisible Worlds". Richard Hammond is the narrator/presenter of the three episodes. And that's all he has to do with this series. Which is why I don't want to classify this series by that name. If he had been the main producer and/or the director, THEN I might have felt comfortable calling the series by that name.

Anyway, on to the actual documentary.
First things first; I loved this documentary. I loved it because it's gorgeous (duh, it's BBC), informative, interesting, cool, and really entertaining. I never felt bored while watching this. In fact, I was glued to the screen from the very first minute to the very last. I saw with some friends and we marveled at some incredible sequences and laughed because of some other ones.

One thing that makes me like this documentary as much as I do is the kind of knowledge you ascertain. It's nothing you'll really have any use for when it comes to work or making money - unless you're in the line of work that deals with any of the wonders of these "Invisible Worlds". But odds are that you're not. So what kind of knowledge am I talking about then? The fun kind of course! The kind that you can talk to people about on parties or just tell them as a fun fact. 
I'll give an example: "What has the fastest acceleration on the entire planet?" The answer is: The spore of a fungi that grows on horse poo. That's kinda neat.
You can also do quick YouTube searches for cool video clips from the series. My favorite is the one where they show a big explosion, slowed down so much that you can clearly see the shockwave.

That's really all I have to say about "Invisible Worlds". If it seems even the slightest interesting to you, then I urge you to watch it as soon as possible. You can also check out other BBC documentaries such as "Earth" or "Life". They're even better if you ask me.

8/9

No comments:

Post a Comment