Friday, October 5, 2012

Movie review: Looper

In 2072, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits. Someone like Joe. But Joe makes the biggest of mistakes when his older self gets sent back and manages to escape.

I went into Looper with extremely high hopes. I'm not fully sure where these expectations came from, but ever since I've heard about this movie, I've wanted to see it. And the more I noticed people and critics praising, the more I wanted to see it. I was so eager to see it I nearly wet myself. So it's no surprise why I came out of the theater a tad let down.

That's not to say that it was a bad movie. Not at all. In fact, it was a good sci-fi sction thriller. It had suspense, action, good characters, human drama, and even some comedy, and it didn't get tied up in the whole time travelling aspect.


I'm happy to say that I didn't find this to be predictable at all. Whenever I thought I had figured out where the story was going, it took a bit of a turn and thus stayed fresh throughout it's runtime - which didn't feel as long as 2 hours. And that's always nice. It was the other way around when I saw "Snow White & The Huntsman", and that movie bored me to death.

The acting performances were good. No one made any astonoshing performances. But JGL and Emily Blunt were good and Bruce Willis was alright. The characters themselves were also good. There were no stereotypical, dumb or annoying characters here. Everyone was believable, and I felt for them... a little.

Which brings me to my major complain, which is that this movie didn't have any real high 'highs'. There were never any moment in the entire movie that 'awed' me. And I believe a movie needs to have this in order to become great. They had chances to create some moments of that nature, but they were merely good.
I also have to say that I was a bit disappointed by Jeff Daniels performance and character. They could both have been really interesting and really cool, but ended up being nothing of importance.

Overall: Good, not great.

7/9

No comments:

Post a Comment