Saturday, October 20, 2012

Movie review: Se7en (rewatch)

Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi.



Holy shit this movie is horrific! Ok, so I may have seen this film about se7en times by now (haha, pun very much intended :D), but I'm still quite horrified by it. The murders (sloth in particular) are brutally imaginative, the setting (this terrible city) is merciless, and Somerset's (Morgan Freeman's character) attitude towards life in the city is down right depressing. All these terrible things, and yet I feel the worst about Mills (Brad Pitt), who just becomes detective and has to face off against this monster.

David Fincher's dirty and gritty view of this city is displayed very clearly and it works so damn well for this story. I'm sure that only a few other directors would have been able to fully present the horror that this story tells.

This brings me to the acting. Oh my god the acting! This is where I first discovered Morgan Freeman and I've considered him to be the greatest of all time ever since. Brad Pitt is also one of my favorite actors, and I love him in this part - as the new detective who acts on his emotions. Kevin Spacey is especially menacing as John Doe. But then again, when is Kevin Spacey not good? I mean, he was absolutely terrific even in Horrible Bosses. And my god is he creepy in this part.

I know some people love to make fun of the "what's in the box?" scene, but I think it's an absolutely brilliant scene (granted, this is where Brad Pitt's acting takes a bit of a dive).

Overall I think this is the greatest thriller film of all time. But I only consider it to be David Fincher's second greatest film of all time. I love Fight Club to nearly no end. But this isn't all that far behind it in my opinion.
I do have to say that I don't find this to be the most horrific movie of all time. That title goes to the South Korean thriller "I Saw The Devil" which made me feel sick to my stomach at times - whilst being a perfectly 'entertaining' thriller movie.

9/9

No comments:

Post a Comment